This post may contain affiliate links.
If you like the warmth of wood and stone the rustic style may be for you.
The rustic style uses texture and color to create a warm, cozy, inviting feeling. Colors are the warm browns, deep reds and tans of the earth. Textures such as wood and stone create a solid feeling, reminiscent of days gone by. Accented with black metal items and vintage décor, it creates a sense of the old world.
A typical rustic color palette employs rusts, browns and deep greens to create a warm environment. Here is a typical color palette for the rustic style.
The rustic style mixes well with contemporary furnishings. If you already have furniture in a neutral tone, adding a few elements can create a warm rustic feeling in your home.
The following room has a neutral color scheme. Tan sofas and cream walls are a good starting point for creating a rustic style room.
To create a rustic feel several elements are added…
- A wood faux candle ceiling fixture is added
- A warm rustic styled rug is placed between the sofas adding texture and pattern to the room
- Colors from the rug are used in the drapes and accent pillows
- Accessories with old world charm, such as a quilt rack and antique globe, flank the fireplace
- Vintage wall scones and lamp add to the lighting design
- An wrought iron fireplace grill fronts the fireplace adding to the rustic feel of the room
- A vintage chest is used as the coffee table
The room now exemplifies the rustic style. Warm, cozy and comfortable.